Behavior Management II: Rappin' with Mr. Lim

Image result for captain america psa

I spoke about behavior management in a different post, but my knowledge of how it works and its application have expanded.  If you saw my previous post, you know I believe that students need to be kept in a classroom and should only be sent away as the very last resort.  That may have left you asking, so what do I do?  Let's ask the TPEs...

TPE 2: Creating and Maintaining Effective Environments for Student Learning

5. Maintain high expectations for learning with appropriate support for the full range of students in the classroom.

6. Establish and maintain clear expectations for positive classroom behavior and for student to-student and student-to-teacher interactions by communicating classroom routines, procedures, and norms to students and families.

The key word you may have noticed is setting expectations.  It is vital to create a clear set of rules and procedures, consequences, and rewards.  Here is an example of a PowerPoint I use to introduce my classroom expectations along with a reflection.



I have learned that a good behavior management plan takes into account a diverse population of students.  Creating this presentation and reflection has also taught me to think of the “why” behind my plan.  Every aspect of the plan must be place students and learning first and students need to understand how their behavior can contribute to a positive environment.

Behavior management plans are put into place so that students have the best possible opportunity to learn.  A good plan makes students feel valued and helps them understand how they contribute to the classroom.  It is my job, as the teacher, to not only enforce this plan, but to help my students understand how their actions affect themselves and others.

What is your plan?  How does it reflect your personal beliefs as well as your students?

Comments